Principles of Biomedical Sciences
Throughout the year, the class worked on the case of a woman named Anna Garcia, who had many health issues leading to a mysterious death. The following is my case report after thoroughly analyzing the crime scene.
As we worked on crime scene analysis, we were challenged to design our own experiment about blood splatter analysis and carry it out.
The following is a compilation of the suspects and evidence of Anna Garcia's mysterious death, organized into one concept map linking the information together.
During the second unit of the class, we studied diabetes. This is a venn diagram comparing and contrasting Type I and Type II diabetes.
As we thoroughly studied diabetes, we were shown hypothetical patients and given their medical information, and we graphed their insulin and glucose levels to see if they were diabetic or borderline diabetic.
Anna Garcia was diabetic, and we took the food logs of her last two days alive and analyzed them online. We made a nutrition report of the food she was eating to see if diabetic complications could have played a part in her death.
My lab partner, Joseph, and I made a brochure that would be found at a doctor's office for someone who may have recently been diagnosed with diabetes.
My lab team and I were assigned to create a new invention that would change the lives of diabetics. We designed a hypothetical product that would improve diabetic's lives.
My class studied feedback loops in homeostasis, and used blood sugar regulation as an example. This is a diagram of how the body reacts and controls blood sugar fluctuations.
In the fourth unit of Biomed, we studied the heart and heart disease. This is a diagram showing the circulation of blood in relation to the heart, body, and lungs.
As we studied the heart, my lab partner and I got to take electrocardiograms of our hearts, and this is a copy of mine.
Studying heart disease, we made brochures with basic information about cholesterol.
My partner and I made a report of my blood pressure taken at different positions.
We made a chart of information about infectious agents, categorizing their type, how they are spread, what they affect, and how it can be prevented.
As our last project for the class, we were assigned to make a powerpoint about a specific body system. We explained each organ in the system and how the diseases we have studied would affect that system.
Human Body Systems
The first thing we focused on in Human Body Systems was forensic anthropology with bone identification by gender, race, height, and age. Here we were presented with a fictional case of a found skeleton, and I had to determine as much information as possible using forensic anthropology.
The General Biometrics Project was a project where we designed a security system for an amusement park. We proposed our idea of using vein scanners to the class in this PowerPoint.
Below is my partner Joseph, wearing the Brain Map that we made. It is a map of all the lobes of the brain and areas, with little symbols that tell us what each lobe controls.
This project was a case where we were given a patient's description of her symptoms and we had to diagnose her neurological disorder.
Below is a picture of my Maniken that my partners and I made by modelling muscles, veins, arteries, bones, and organs out of clay.
This is a color diagram of the nephron that I labelled. We did this when we studied the function of the kidneys.
My partner and I studied height correlation with different bones in the body, and this is a graph of tibia length compared to height.
This is a feedback loop that I made while learning the role that the thyroid gland has on homeostasis.
This is a project where my team used a spirometer to measure our breathing rates and lung capacity, and then we did the calculations of one of our team member's graph.
This is my report that calculates my client's TDEE, BMI, and BMR, and gives recommendations on nutrition balance.
This is a worksheet that was done about Ankle-Brachial Index, calculating it, and answering questions on it.
In the following two activities we had to discover where an outbreak began, and which disease it was based on symptoms.
The following are audiograph worksheets that were done to help us learn to read hearing impairments on a graph.
Before we did an ELISA test, we practiced doing dilutions by hand
This is a recombinant DNA plasmid that we cut and taped in our activity.
This is a graph depicting the growth of E. coli while exposed to antibiotics.
|File Size:||10 kb|
The following is a case study that I did as a genetic counselor for a family who had a son with Fragile X syndrome
This is a Breast Cancer marker analysis in graph form of several women in a family.
The following is a map that explains what cancer screenings a woman needs to go through throughout her lifetime (when and how often).
This is a worksheet that answers questions and has my drawn diagrams of how DNA Microarray works.